Bacalhau Stew with Bok Choy & Mushrooms is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a comforting and satisfying meal. This traditional Portuguese dish (with a Roots and Wings spin on it) is made with salt cod, bok choy, mushrooms and a variety of spices and herbs that create a delicious and satisfying stew. This recipe is easy to make and can be served with crusty bread or over rice. Perfect for a cold winter evening or a family dinner, this Bacalau Stew is sure to be a hit with everyone.
- 1 pound saltfish fillets with skin on.
- 2 yellow onions thinly sliced
- One package mushrooms any kind
- 4 medium Garlic cloves
- One package bok choy
- 10-15 baby potatoes
- One can any type tomatoes
- Bay leaf, oregano, black pepper
- Soak fish 24 hours changing water out twice.
- Slice onion, mushroom. Finely mince garlic. Separate bok choy leaves, leaving on stems. Set aside some mushrooms for the orzo.
- Halve potatoes
- Heat any type of oil in a pan over medium high heat. When olive oil begins to ripple, add onion and garlic. Sauté three minutes or until golden brown
- Put potatoes in and cook until tender (not mushy).
- Just before eating begin cook orzo or pasta/ grain of choice. While cooking orzo, toss greens into a pan to wilt/ simmer down. Add red wine vinegar and red chili pepper.
- Rinse fish, cut fish into small-ish pieces and remove bones. heat stew to simmer and add fish. Make sure fish is submerged in broth (might have to ladel other veggies on top of fish. cook for app. 10 minutes in the broth or Until flaky. Do not overcook! Fish continues to cook when warm.
- After greens are cooked down, ready to serve on the side with squeezed lemon juice over top.
- Ready to serve.