This recipe is great for impressing guests at a dinner party, made with complex flavors from your home kitchen.
- Approx. 1 pound Salt cod
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- App. 1 pound potato’s (sliced or small potatoes)
- 1 bell pepper sliced, seeds removed
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Black olives
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh coriander roughly chopped
- Desalinate (rinse and soak) fish for 24 hours changing water out 1-3 times
- Remove skin and bone, if you prefer, and cut cod into bite size pieces
- In a large pan, layer half of the onions, tomato, bell pepper, garlic, cod and olives, add the bay leaf then repeat the layering until all ingredients are in the casserole.
- Add freshly ground black pepper, water and drizzle olive oil evenly across mixture.
- Cover casserole with tight fitted lid, bring to a boil, then turn to as low as possible to simmer for 1.5 hours. Keep lid on pan, gently shake occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- After cooking time, remove the lid and stir once to combine the sauce with everything else.
- Serve with warm crusty bread, sauce from the pan and sprinkle coriander and lemon juice.